Monday, December 26, 2011

Small Signs of God - First Light


" Jesus spoke to them, saying: I am the light of the world: he that followeth me, walketh not in darkness, but shall have the light of life." (John 8:12)

And today, peace is still here. I can see small signs of God the day after Christmas. Why? Because I am looking and will continue to look as the first rays of light appear through the winter trees. I reflect on a day of service and silence, quiet and gratitude, peace and plenty. It's true. Christmas is believing  that God makes all things right, not me. What a Christmas gift. The birds confirm this thought as they wake and discover the same truth with me. We worship a God of order who makes all things right in a broken world. I play such a small part.
The toy just seemed so exciting and perfect choice for energetic nephews. But it simply did not work. Faulty in construction it was returned to the store before Christmas day and another toy quickly made the substitution. I wonder when Jesus will become the perfect gift and cheap substitutions will no longer vie for first place. I wonder how many small signs I can continue to spot along my journey in a world of broken toys to help me never allow a substitution for the Son of the Most High.

"It is not over,
this birthing.
There are always newer skies
into which
God can throw stars.
When we begin to think
that we can predict the Advent of God,
That we can box the Christ
in a stable in Bethlehem,
that's just the time that God will be born
in a place we can't imagine and won't believe.
Those who wait for God
watch with  their hearts and not their eyes,
listening, always listening for angel words."
(Ann Weems, Kneeling in Bethlehem)

No comments:

Post a Comment